Canary Islands to Accept Covid-19 Antigen Tests From British Tourists
Cruising to the Atlantic islands this winter could get even easier...
The Canary Islands is one of the most popular cruise destinations in the world, especially with British travellers.
The Spanish islands, located off the coast of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean, offer year-round sunshine, and a safe and comfortable place to visit in search of great weather and activities.
Hoping to attract more British travellers to its shores, especially over winter, the Canary Islands is currently in a deal to accept Covid-19 antigen tests from tourists from high-risk countries – including the UK.
The archipelago was added to the UK's travel corridor last month, with the islands passing legislation asking for negative Covid-19 tests on arrival.
This new deal will allow passengers to use antigen tests as proof they are Covid-free.
Unlike RT-PCR tests, antigen tests can give results within 30 minutes and are significantly cheaper than their counterpart.
Typical Covid-19 PCR tests can cost up to £175, while antigen tests can be purchased for around £49.
The move aims to encourage more British travellers – and come the New Year, cruisers – to visit the Canary Islands.
According to local publication Canarian Weekly, the decree is set to be in place by 1 December, just in time for when lockdown finished in England.
As per the publication, Canary Islands president Angel Víctor Torres said the technical report prepared by the Hospital de La Candelaria in Tenerife "has conclusive scientific proof that the antigen tests with which they have worked, have all the scientific compliments to be able to measure up to health security required”.
- 14 nights, departs on the 01 Aug 2021
- Cunard Line, Queen Elizabeth
- Southampton, Cádiz, Barcelona, + 5 more
- 10 nights, departs on the 21 Jun 2022
- Scenic, Scenic Diamond
- Bordeaux, Saint-Émilion, Pauillac, + 8 more
7 Night Perfect Day Bahamas Cruise
- 7 nights, departs on the 11 Jun 2021
- Royal Caribbean International, Oasis of the Seas
- Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, Port Canaveral, Florida, Coco Cay, + 2 more
7-Day Southern Australia Explorer
- 7 nights, departs on the 03 Jan 2022
- Princess Cruises, Sapphire Princess
- Melbourne, Victoria, Adelaide, South Australia, Port Lincoln, South Australia, + 3 more
- 13 nights, departs on the 20 Jul 2022
- Aurora Expeditions, Sylvia Earle
- Nome, Alaska, Provideniya, Lorino, + 13 more