P&O Cruises' Iona: A Look Inside the Brand New Ship
P&O Cruises has released an enticing video of its new ship Iona, taking viewers on a behind-the-scenes look of her incredible build
The teasy behind-the-scenes clip shows the gigantic ship being built, giving viewers a glimpse of how she will look when she finally sets sail next year.
The ship recently joined the P&O Cruises fleet, where it was welcomed at an official handover ceremony at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany on Friday 9 October.
In the clip, viewers are able to see a time-lapse of the incredible work and effort it took to build the ship, from being just a few decks in a shipyard to sailing on the water.
Iona is the largest ship ever built for the UK market, coming in at 185,000 tonnes and 345 metres in length with 17 passenger decks.
The incredible new ship was originally scheduled to join the P&O cruises fleet back in April, but was delayed due to Covid-19.
Iona will carry an impressive 5,206 guests in stylish modern surroundings, with new features including a unique two-deck SkyDome.
The SkyDome – one of the ship’s new major selling points – will be a tranquil pool area by day filled with natural light, transforming into a dining and entertainment zone by night with aerial entertainment shows.
The ship has 13 entertainment venues, four swimming pools, an infinity pool overlooking the waves and 16 whirlpools.
On board, guests will also get to experience the first actual gin distillery at sea, a venture in collaboration with Salcombe Gin, where guests can take part in gin masterclasses and take home their own unique bottle.
Iona also boasts a fantastic new spa with destination-inspired treatments, the first of its kind in the P&O Cruises fleet.
When she sets sail in 2021, Iona’s maiden season will be to Northern Europe, Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands from her home port of Southampton.
Iona’s as yet unnamed sister ship will be delivered in December 2022.
- 21 nights, departs on the 02 Oct 2022
- UNIWORLD Boutique River Cruises, S.S. Bon Voyage
- Bordeaux, Blaye, Pauillac, + 19 more
- 14 nights, departs on the 09 Oct 2022
- UNIWORLD Boutique River Cruises, S.S. Joie de Vivre
- Paris, Vernon, Rouen, + 12 more
Burgundy & Provence
- 7 nights, departs on the 16 Oct 2022
- UNIWORLD Boutique River Cruises, S.S. Catherine
- Lyon, Mâcon, Lyon, + 5 more
3 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise
- 3 nights, departs on the 15 Apr 2022
- Royal Caribbean International, Independence of the Seas
- Port Canaveral, Florida, Coco Cay, Nassau, + 1 more
7 Night Galapagos Northern Loop Cruise
- 7 nights, departs on the 06 Nov 2021
- Celebrity Cruises, Celebrity Xploration
- Baltra Island, Galápagos, Black Turtle Cove, Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos, Sullivan Bay, Santiago Island, Galápagos, + 12 more