Royal Caribbean Suspends Launch Of New Ship Odyssey Of The Seas
Passengers booked onto the brand new mega-ship will now have to wait until April 2021
Royal Caribbean has joined the long line of cruise lines having to delay the launch of new cruise ships due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Odyssey of the Seas, the cruise line’s brand new 4,198-passenger ship, was set to sail its maiden voyage from Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas and Caribbean in November 2020, but the sailing has now been pushed back until April 2021.
The cruise ship will now debut in Europe in summer 2021, sailing Eastern Mediterranean itineraries out of Rome.
When she launches, Odyssey of the Seas will be one of the biggest cruise ships ever built. It will join Royal Caribbean’s Quantum Class of ships, the third-largest class of cruise ships in the world.
“The impact of worldwide port and shipyard closures have created delays in the construction schedule and delivery of Odyssey of the Seas,” said a spokesperson for the cruise line.
“Based on adjusted plans and timelines created in partnership with Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany, delivery of Royal Caribbean’s newest ship is now scheduled for April 2021.
“Odyssey of the Seas will spend her inaugural season sailing Eastern Mediterranean cruises from Rome, before arriving in the US in November 2021. Originally, the ship was to debut in November 2020.”
“We are saddened to share this news. There’s nothing we wanted more than to launch this revolutionary ship this fall – but trust us when we say that Odyssey will be well worth the wait,” said the line in a separate statement.
Royal Caribbean also revealed that Odyssey of the Seas will no longer have a trapeze school in the ship’s SeaPlex.
However, there will still be plenty of fun to have on board, and the ship will have a RipCord skydiving simulator, laser tag arena and Sky Pad.
All passengers who have booked a now cancelled sailing on Odyssey of the Seas will be contacted directly by Royal Caribbean to arrange a replacement cruise or refund.
Mexican Riviera: Cabo & Puerto Vallarta
- 7 nights, departs on the 16 Apr 2023
- Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Jewel
- San Diego, California, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, + 3 more
7-Day Glacier Discovery Northbound
- 7 nights, departs on the 28 Aug 2022
- Holland America Line, Nieuw Amsterdam
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Ketchikan, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska, + 4 more
Timeless Wonders of Vietnam, Cambodia & the Mekong
- 7 nights, departs on the 03 Oct 2021
- UNIWORLD Boutique River Cruises, Mekong Jewel
- Kampong Cham, Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, + 5 more
Greek Isles: Santorini, Mykonos & Croatia
- 7 nights, departs on the 07 May 2023
- Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Gem
- Venice, Kotor, Corfu, + 5 more
Jewels of Europe with Prague
- 14 nights, departs on the 12 Oct 2022
- Scenic, Scenic Jade
- Budapest, Budapest, Vienna, + 12 more