Cunard brings a world of glamour and fashion on board the iconic ocean liner Queen Mary 2 featuring Dame Zandra Rhodes CBE, Colin McDowell MBE, Fern Mallis, Gail Sackloff OBE, Royal College of Art and Storm Models
With just over a week to go preparation is underway for seven days of runway shows, inspiring talks, glamorous dinners and exclusive unveilings on board the iconic ocean liner Queen Mary 2. Cunard has brought together some of the most reputable names within the fashion industry to launch the first ever ‘Transatlantic Fashion Week’. The crossing will leave Southampton on the 1st September arriving in to New York on the 8th September the very same day as New York Fashion Week 2016 begins.
Pioneering British Designer Dame Zandra Rhodes CBE, known for dressing some of the world’s best-known style icons including Freddie Mercury, Jackie Onassis and former Cunard passenger Elizabeth Taylor will showcase her latest collection on board Queen Mary 2. The celebrated fashion designer will also be joined by highly respected fashion historian and style commentator Colin McDowell MBE and New York Fashion Week Founder Fern Mallis for a series of inspirational talks during the voyage.
Passengers will attend exclusive first look runway shows featuring collections from the world’s most famous fashion college, the Royal College of Art’s 2016 graduates including:
· Niels Gundtoft Hansen: innovative Danish designer who’s final collection aims to create the perfect balance between the raw edge and romantic beauty of his home country
· Stefanie Tschirky: born in a small village in Switzerland, Stefanie hopes one day to own her own design studio, with a focus on interdisciplinary design and art work
· Sophie Schmidt: Sophie’s interest in design stemmed from her upbringing in a family of architects, and her collection is based on Anthroposophy – taking inspiration from life, the human body and soul to create a deeper meaning
· Oksana Ani: Oksana has taken inspiration from science and technology to create her Fluid’Sense collection, creating the feeling of wearing liquid clothes
· Laetitia Berthier: influenced by social codes, values and symbols of power within menswear across decades, Laetitia’s collection is inspired by her French heritage and the varied and diverse influences discovered during her studies
As well as embracing new design talent the first ever fashion show at sea will introduce emerging new faces from of one London’s revolutionary modeling agencies, Storm.
Following a recent remastering in the region of £90 million, Queen Mary 2 marks 176 years of heritage, echoing the height of British elegance and luxury associated with Cunard’s iconic fleet. Cunard’s ‘Transatlantic Fashion Week’ will provide a rare and exclusive experience for guests set within an art deco inspired interior.
Dame Zandra Rhodes CBE commented: “Cunard’s Transatlantic Fashion Week is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the world of fashion in an iconic and timeless venue. I’m incredibly excited to showcase my work alongside some amazing up and coming designers from the Royal College of Art – it is so important to encourage new talent and what a fabulous environment to launch what are sure to be some very bright futures in the world of fashion!”
Angus Struthers, Director, Cunard said: “We are delighted to host Transatlantic Fashion Week on board, especially as it follows the recent remastering of Queen Mary 2. This crossing will be the first of its kind offering guests a unique chance to meet and dine with some of the most celebrated names in the fashion industry. Queen Mary 2 has always been synonymous with glamour and style so inviting fashion royalty onboard is an exciting move for Cunard and one we expect to carry into the future.”