Norwegian Cruise Line
Founded in 1966, Miami-based Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), part of global cruise company Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (which also owns Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises) is the third-largest cruise line in the world in terms of cruise passengers. NCL has become well-known for its colourful ships featuring a pop-icon style painted hull. The cruise line launched its first mega-ship in 2010, the 4,100-passenger Norwegian Epic (once the third largest cruise ship in the world), and has since launched six more in the Breakaway and Breakaway-Plus classes. Its third and final Breakaway-Plus class ship, Norwegian Encore, was launched in 2019 and features the world’s longest go-karting race track at sea at 1,100 feet. Next on the agenda will be Norwegian Cruise Line’s new Leonardo-class 3,300-passenger ships, which will sail out of Southampton when they enter service from 2022.
Why choose this cruise line?
NCL is popular among adults and children alike. Passengers can take advantage of a whole host of amenities like waterparks, virtual-reality gaming, and go-kart racing. Entertainment is another highlight of an NCL cruise, with hit Broadway shows such as Kinky Boots and The Choir of Man delighting audiences. However, while NCL’s modern ships have been designed to offer something for everyone, they do not appeal to all, particularly those who value space and peace and quiet. While NCL offers a number of complimentary restaurants, guests who are on a budget should also be aware of extra charges as not all of the facilities on board ships come free of charge.
Cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line
Tying in to its concept of 'freestyle' cruising, NCL is all about offering its passengers freedom of choice and flexibility when it comes to their cruise holiday. The line offers one of the most extensive selections of dining and entertainment venues on board its ships, so guests have their pick when it comes to when and where they want to eat each day and what they choose to do to keep themselves entertained. NCL also recently did away with its premium all-inclusive fares in favour of allowing guests to choose the perks they want, such as drinks or wi-fi packages, at discount prices.
Who should travel with Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian’s laidback cruising style is well-suited to passengers who do not like to have their cruise holiday mapped out for them. Instead, cruises have been designed for passengers who value choice and flexibility, hence why the likes of Norwegian Encore have 29 drinking and dining venues on board, ranging from casual eateries and cafes like Starbucks to speciality restaurants such as Onda by Scarpetta. Being the line that introduced go-kart racing at sea, you can be sure Norwegian is all about delivering fun to its passengers, who are of all ages. It’s not surprising that with thrilling activities such as lazer tag and immersive VR experiences, NCL attracts a large number of families. Norwegian is also known for its award-winning solo cruises, with special single cabins and reduced single supplements on board its ships.
Norwegian Cruise Line cruise destinations
Ocean-going Norwegian Cruise Line offers sailing to destinations all over the world, including Asia, Africa, Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, Bahamas, Canada and New England, the Caribbean, Hawaii, the Mediterranean, Mexico Riviera, Northern Europe, the Panama Canal, South America, the Pacific Coast and transatlantic. Norwegian also owns two private islands exclusively for the enjoyment of its guests, including Harvest Caye in Belize and Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.
Pride of America
Celebrity Cruises new ship Celebrity Beyond - what you can expect onboard
Sushi, robot bartenders and 80s rock - onboard Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas
Football’s coming home… and so are we – onboard Celebrity Silhouette
MSC Virtuosa: What to expect onboard from testing & protocols to food & entertainment
Virgin Voyages: All-inclusive and all adult - why this new cruise line is unique
MSC Virtuosa: Everything you need to know about first cruise ship to set sail
A View to the Future: Oceania Cruises' First Allura-Class Ship
Cycling, Schnapps and Cowboys: An Idyllic Danube River Cruise For When Lockdown Ends
P&O Cruises’ New Ship Iona: Everything You Need to Know
Is This The New Cruise Ship for Millennials?
Escape day-to-day life with a cruise on NCL’s stunning new ship, Norwegian Encore
The cast of Kinky Boots also made an appearance
The Deluxe owners suite onboard the Norwegian Encore
- Dedicated Kids & Teen (ages 3-17) programming & spaces during at sea days until 10:30 pm and from departure until 10:30 pm during port days
- Meals in one of the many complimentary dining venues
- 24-hour Dining venue (on select ships)
- Room service menu items (convenience charge may apply)
- Outdoor Buffet (on select ships)
- Pool Bar and Grill (on select ships)
- Coffee Bar (regular coffee and pastries included, speciality coffees at nominal extra charge)
- Iced Tea, some juices in the buffet (for breakfast), regular coffee, tea and ice water
- All entertainment onboard (with the exception of dinner and lunch theatre entertainment)
- Art Auctions
- Access to fitness facilities
- Use of outdoor pools and hot tubs
- Phone calls onboard the ship (stateroom to stateroom)
- Use of private Studio Lounge if staying in Studio accommodations on Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Pride of America, Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Escape
- Suite Guests receive additional amenities, based on the category of accommodation
Unique selling points
Broadway-style shows and world-class entertainment
Norwegian Cruise Lines ranks highly when it comes to entertainment on board its ships, and ships have huge theatres showing productions like award-winning Kinky Boots and new musical Six.
Enjoy the freedom to dine somewhere new morning, noon and night with more restaurants than days in the week onboard every single ship. Dine when you choose, and dress as you please. But Freestyle Cruising isn’t only about dining, it’s about everything you can do during your cruise, from staterooms designed with your needs in mind, to a wealth of entertainment for the entire family. They key word is 'Choice'.
7-Day Alaska Round-trip Seattle: Dawes Glacier, Juneau & Ketchikan
- 7 nights, departs on the 25 Jun 2022
- Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Bliss
- Seattle, Washington, Ketchikan, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska, + 4 more
Alaska: Dawes Glacier, Juneau & Ketchikan
- 7 nights, departs on the 27 May 2023
- Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Joy
- Seattle, Washington, Ketchikan, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska, + 4 more
Rome: Santorini, Mykonos & Florence
- 10 nights, departs on the 13 Sept 2023
- Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Breakaway
- Civitavecchia, Santorini, Piraeus, + 7 more
7-Day Southern Caribbean from San Juan
- 7 nights, departs on the 16 Jan 2022
- Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Epic
- San Juan, Oranjestad, Willemstad, + 4 more